Are these groups "unauthorized"?

From: Guido Ostkamp <Guido(dot)Ostkamp(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Are these groups "unauthorized"?
Date: 2002-06-27 18:32:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello PostgreSQL developers and Admins of news.postgresql.org,

recently I located messages of this PostgreSQL groups on
groups.google.com.

However, after asking the local newsserver admin of my company to host
those groups as well, I was told that those groups here are
*unauthorized* and clearly violating current Usenet rules for the
namespace of the "Big 8" hierarchies, that is "comp.*" and others, thus
the hosting of the groups had to be refused.

Apparently, no RfD (Request for discussion) and voting has ever been
made to officially introduce those groups to the Usenet.

May I kindly ask, why this procedure has not been followed?

Or, if you did not intend to do that, why have the groups not been given
a name outside of the forbidden namespace of the "Big 8"?

I am sure, a lot of people would be happy, if those groups were
officially introduced and hosted on many international newservers.

Regards,

Guido