Re: Re: cannot create new user in postgres

From: jdassen(at)cistron(dot)nl (J(dot)H(dot)M(dot) Dassen (Ray))
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: cannot create new user in postgres
Date: 2001-03-20 11:23:39
Lists: pgsql-admin
joydip(at)cal2(dot)vsnl(dot)net(dot)in <joydip(at)cal2(dot)vsnl(dot)net(dot)in> wrote:
>    I am trying to create the user but it was giving folllowing errors
>
>    [postgres(at)ns data]$ su siddharta
>    su: user siddharta does not exist

Meaning: there is no Unix user 'siddharta' on your system.

>    This is how I created the user........

[createuser]

Meaning: there is now a PostgreSQL database user 'siddharta'.

PostgreSQL uses a user system that is separate from the underlying operating
system. There is no problem, just a misunderstanding on your part. You can
now use the database user you created with PostgreSQL's commands, e.g
"psql -U siddharta".

HTH,
Ray
--
"If we put in English phrases, that makes it readable".  That's COBOL.
	Larry Wall on common fallacies of language design