Re: [HACKERS] Re: Depending on system install scripts (was Re: COBOL)

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jarom Hagen <jhagen(at)telematch(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Depending on system install scripts (was Re: COBOL)
Date: 2001-03-09 00:18:43
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane writes:
> > I've suggested a couple of times that since we include install-sh in our
> > distro anyway, it's pointless and unnecessarily risky to go looking for
> > a platform-supplied install program.  However, I could never quite get
> > anyone else to see the reasoning.  Now that I have this sterling example
> > to point to, I'm going to start rattling the cage again.  Why don't we
> > get rid of the configure-time search for 'install', and just always use
> > our own script?
> I've sent this to the Autoconf list for some comment, but in general I
> agree with you.

All the programs which use the Cygnus configure tree (e.g., gdb, GNU
binutils) always use install-sh rather than the system install

The system install program can be faster.  But it isn't standardized,
so if you want to be highly portable, using the shell script really is

TIP 83: Drop the vase and it will become a Ming of the past.
		-- The Adventurer