Re: Cursor support in pl/pg

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cursor support in pl/pg
Date: 2001-04-26 06:43:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:

> IIRC the patch only provides the syntax for CURSOR to
> PL/pgSQL. Not real cursor support on the SPI level. So it's
> still the same as before, the backend will try to suck up the
> entire resultset into the SPI tuple table (that's memory) and
> die if it's huge enough.
>
> What we really need is an improvement to the SPI manager to
> support cursor (or cursor like behaviour through repeated
> executor calls).

Agreed, but as I may have said before, 1) the problem you describe
already exists in PL/pgSQL when using the FOR x IN SELECT statement,
2) the PL/pgSQL cursor patch is useful without the improvement to the
SPI layer, 3) I would argue that the PL/pgSQL cursor patch is still
needed after the SPI layer is improved.

So I do not think that is a valid argument against installing the
PL/pgSQL cursor patch.

Ian

TIP 83: The only thing cheaper than hardware is talk.