Re: Cursor support in pl/pg

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cursor support in pl/pg
Date: 2001-04-26 17:29:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:

> I don't object if we can be sure that it's implementing the
> syntax a final version with *real* cursor support will have.
> Can we?

I don't know, and I don't know what the decision criteria are.

I intentionally implemented the Oracle cursor syntax. PL/pgSQL is
very similar to PL/SQL, and I didn't see any reason to introduce a
spurious difference. Note in particular that simply passing
OPEN/FETCH/CLOSE through to the Postgres SQL parser does not implement
the Oracle cursor syntax, so I wouldn't have done that even if it
would have worked.

(I have a vested interest here. For various reasons, my company,
Zembu, has an interest in minimizing the strain of porting
applications from Oracle to Postgres. I assume that the Postgres team
also has that interest, within reason. But I don't know for sure.)

Ian