A warning!!! OS X Major Version Upgrade

From: Scott Auge <scott_auge(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: A warning!!! OS X Major Version Upgrade
Date: 2005-10-16 03:56:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

So I had pgsql running just fine on OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and decided to
upgrade to OS X 10.4.2 (Tiger) - a "major version" upgrade.

I had pgsql installed in /usr/local/pgsql as is the usual place.

You guessed it, when I upgraded to Tiger, it cleared out the /usr
directory and put it's own goods back in again. Even the Archive
Previous System didn't cover that.

So, just a little behavior OS X goes through when it performs a major
upgrade - keep your goods in a /User (or ln -s /User /home LOL!)
directory for upgrade safety. It was easy to recover from (backups
backup backups) but it was unexpected!!!

Running the little "dot x upgrades" had no effect on the
/usr/local/pgsql directory in the past and I doubt it will in the
future. It is just the major upgrades the behavior shows up in.

--
Available for Hire! http://amduus.com/Resumes/