Update bug.

From: "Rick Szeto" <rszeto(at)csi(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Update bug.
Date: 2002-05-06 17:58:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi all,
I have encountered a bug that I think is a major problem.
I have a table as follows:
CREATE TABLE registration (
registration_id int PRIMARY KEY;
course_name varchar(6) NOT NULL;
course_code varchar(6) NOT NULL;
etc...
)

Note: There is no index on course_name and/or course_code;

I needed to update the values in course_name and course_code columns to remove trailling whitespace.
(you don't want to know how they got there...). So I used this statement to update it:

UPDATE registration SET course_name = trim(course_name), course_code = trim(course_code);

At first I just thought that the operation took a long time(it does have over 300k entries), so I left it over night to run.
But when I got back the next morning, the process was still not finished. When I looked at the CPU usage using 'top',
postgres was basically sitting idle. I had to use the a PL/pgsql function to operate on the table for it to do the update,
it was slow, but at least it did the job.

Configuration:
RH Linux 7.2 on Intel P4 1.6 GHz.
PostgreSQL 7.2.1

Any reason why this is happening?