Differential Backups

From: "Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Differential Backups
Date: 2001-10-29 20:22:44
Lists: pgsql-general

I have been thinking about backups. I currently do one a day. However, I thought it might be nice to get differential backups through the day. I should be able to generate dumps throughout the day, generate a diff from my baseline dump, and just keep the diff, right? Then to do a restore I would just patch for the point in time I wanted to restore to? Seems like it would work, but whether it would save any hard drive space would depend on how much activity the database saw. Anyone doing this now?

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549