Failing to boot Postgres on Red Hat Linux

From: "Matthew Green" <Matthewgreen(at)intelfax(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Failing to boot Postgres on Red Hat Linux
Date: 2000-08-31 16:00:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

Postmaster is not initializing when our Red Hat server is rebooting.
We have followed what is stated in the manual with a slight modification to allow TCPIP connections.

i.e.
in the file /etc/inittab

-----------------------------<SNIP>---------------------------------------------
# Run Postgres in standard runlevels

pg:2345:respawn:/bin/su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >> /usr/local/pgsql/logs/server.log 2>&1 </dev/null"
-----------------------------<EOF>---------------------------------------------

This seems to execute since if we introduce a deliberate error we get a warning on reboot.
But with the line exactly as above we get no warnings, no server.log file is generated and the postmaster task is not visible if we run "ps -A" as root.

Any help would be gratefully received including alternative methods of forcing Postgres to initialize on reboot.

Many Thanks,

Matthew Green

Intelfax Limited,
Lincoln House,