Failing to boot Postgres on Red Hat Linux

From: "Matthew Green" <Matthewgreen(at)intelfax(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Failing to boot Postgres on Red Hat Linux
Date: 2000-08-31 16:00:28
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello,

Postmaster is not initializing when our Red Hat server is rebooting.
We have followed what is stated in the manual with a slight modification to allow TCPIP connections.

i.e.
in the file /etc/inittab

-----------------------------<SNIP>---------------------------------------------
#   Run Postgres in standard runlevels

pg:2345:respawn:/bin/su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >> /usr/local/pgsql/logs/server.log 2>&1 </dev/null"
-----------------------------<EOF>---------------------------------------------

This seems to execute since if we introduce a deliberate error we get a warning on reboot.
But with the line exactly as above we get no warnings, no server.log file is generated and the postmaster task is not visible if we run "ps -A" as root.

Any help would be gratefully received including alternative methods of forcing Postgres to initialize on reboot.

Many Thanks,

Matthew Green

Intelfax Limited,
Lincoln House,
75 Westminster Bridge Road,
London SE1 7HS

020 7902 5157

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Charles CurleyDate: 2000-08-31 16:14:02