Re: Timezone matching script (win32)

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timezone matching script (win32)
Date: 2010-04-14 13:41:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>>
>> > I think it should live in src/tools and be mentioned in
>> > src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES
>>
>> +1 for src/tools/, but the documentation note should probably be in
>> src/timezone/README.  This task isn't especially coupled to release
>> times (at least not *our* release times).  And it's definitely not
>> likely to happen at the times anyone would be consulting
>> RELEASE_CHANGES, because none of the release leadup work gets done
>> on Windows machines.
>
> True, but if there's a www.microsoft.com URL that could be checked for
> timezone updates, perhaps we don't need a Windows machine.  In any case,

Funny guy. There isn't, of course.

> perhaps whoever does the release work can *ask* someone else to provide
> the Windows TZ patch.

Yeah, that's what we'll need done.

How about we put it in RELEASE_CHANGES for major releases with
something like "if a major windows update has been released, run ...
"?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/