Gentoo for production DB server?

From: "Christine Desmuke" <CDesmuke(at)kshs(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Gentoo for production DB server?
Date: 2004-08-24 21:33:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello:

At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?

Some background: we've been running PostgreSQL on assorted versions of
Red Hat for a couple of years. RedHat Enterprise is not an option, so we
currently have a mix of Fedora, RH 9, White Box Enterprise (a RedHat
clone), and Gentoo, and want to settle on a single distro, with White
Box and Gentoo the leading contenders. Hardware is mostly Dell PowerEdge
or white-box. I prefer to build PostgreSQL from source anyway, so
package management is not as important as stability and ease of
maintenance/updates. Most of what I've read says that Gentoo is either
the greatest thing since sliced bread or not ready for primetime; in
either case, details are sketchy. I would like to hear especially from
people who are either running Gentoo in production or have tried and
rejected it.

Thank you.

Christine Desmuke
Kansas State Historical Society