Problems dumping database from 7.3.1

From: "Gordon Ross" <G(dot)Ross(at)ccw(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problems dumping database from 7.3.1
Date: 2004-05-12 11:43:08
Lists: pgsql-admin
I've been using a PGSQL 7.3.1 system as my development box for some time, and so far, it worked fine. (This is running on Slackware distro with a 2.2.19 kernel under VMWare 4)

However, yesterday, I added a column to a base table (that is inherited by several other tables). Shortly afterwards, whenever I tried to access either the base table or child tables, I get the message saying that pgsql has lost communication with the server.

Assuming that I had stumbled across a bug, I decided to upgrade to 7.4.2. Before starting, I tried to do a pg_dump, and it failed. Again, it failed partway through, loosing the connection to the server.

Below is the erorr I am getting

gtg(at)Vmware1:~$ pg_dump -f /tmp/sw4.sql -U postgres switchboards
pg_dump: connection not open
pg_dump: lost synchronization with server, resetting connection
pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "StaffMember" failed: PQendcopy() failed.
pg_dump: Error message from server: FATAL:  The database system is starting up

pg_dump: The command was: COPY public."StaffMember" ("Id", "ExDirectory", "Name", "JobTitle", "Title", "FirstName", "MiddleInitial", "LastName", "Status", "WelshSpeakingAbility", "JobTitleC", "OrgGroupID", "OtherNumber", "PostNumber", "BandId", "JobDescE", "JobDescW", "EMailAddr", "NDSObject", "SectionId", dnid) TO stdout;
gtg(at)Vmware1:~$

The log file says that the server process was terminated by a signal 11, and it then restarts.

Any ideas as to how I can bring my database back to life ?

Thanks,

GTG

Gordon Ross,
Network Manager/Rheolwr Rhydwaith
Countryside Council for Wales/Cyngor Cefn Gwlad Cymru

pgsql-admin by date