Re: Mailing list archives (was Re: [HACKERS] mailing list archiver chewing patches)

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
Date: 2010-05-01 18:19:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 20:16, Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> (moving the old -hackers thread to pgsql-www as it's more relevant)
>
> I'm sorry but since I last posted an update on -hackers, I haven't had time
> to keep working on the proof of concept of the new mailing list archive.
>
> For those not involved in the previous thread it is a small app built on top
> of archiveopterix (AOX), that has full thread support and can display the
> archives by using some fancy JS but also being search engine and non-JS
> friendly.
>
> The logic is entirely on the database (will apart AOX itself) and the UI was
> built using PHP and symfony, thus it will need to be ported to python/django
> at some point.
>
> I've been approached by Alvaro and we were finally able to discuss about the
> project. I think we've been able to make some progress understating how we
> can integrate the new archive with majordomo. He was kind enough to
> volunteer for reviewing the current code, and I will shortly provide all the
> information required for him to begin.
>
> Now, my biggest concern is... will someone step in for porting the app to
> the new website framework?

Yes. I can definitely do this, if nobody else does first.

Unfortunately it's blocked behind some other work (both website and
infrastructure - we need something to put it on..), but I think once
the rest of the framework is done, and as you say the logic is in AOX,
the porting part is not likely to take much time.

It would be good if it's already in the web *layout* framework before
that happens though, because that's the part that would take a really
long time for me. Meaning using the same HTML and CSS framework. And
that will be 100% the same regardless of which execution framework is
used.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/