Re: GPU Accelerated Sorting

From: gael(at)pilotsystems(dot)net ( Gaël Le Mignot)
To: Eliot Gable <egable+pgsql-performance(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GPU Accelerated Sorting
Date: 2010-08-30 14:56:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hello,

In my humble opinion, while  it can sound interesting from a theorical
point of view to outloads some  operations to the GPU, there is a huge
pratical problem in current world  : databases which are big enough to
require such heavy optimization are usually runned on server hardware,
which very rarely have powerful GPU.

There may  be a small  target of computers  having both GPU  and heavy
database, but that sounds very  exceptional to me, so investing effort
into it sounds a bit unjustified to me.

Except  as a  matter of  scientific research,  which is  it  of course
important for the future.

Regards,

--
Gaël Le Mignot - gael(at)pilotsystems(dot)net
Pilot Systems - 9, rue Desargues - 75011 Paris