Re: bug in information_schema?

From: Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug in information_schema?
Date: 2004-11-27 15:19:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:24:40 +0000, Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> A similar issue may exist with the check_constraints view, which was the
> only other place I found where constraint_name is used without any table
> name being present. I don't know what the spec says, but it seems that
> something is assuming that constraint_name is unique within the schema,
> which of course is not the case in the above example.

It has been discussed elsewhere some months ago:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.postgresql.sql/11397

The problem makes the INFORMATION_SCHEMA rather useless for some kinds of
queries, like you have shown. However, I don't believe that schema-unique
constraint names will be an option any time soon, due to backwards
compatibility :-(

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark