Re: SQL 2003 conformance

From: Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL 2003 conformance
Date: 2004-10-18 13:12:37
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:52:24 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Is anyone feeling masochistic and wants to review the SQL standards
> conformance chapter in the documentation for SQL 2003?

Elein and I am working on it.

Part of the work was to store the SQL standard's feature IDs, etc, in a
usable manner. A result of that is available at
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/sql-standard/2003/sql:2003-features.sql
The SQL creates some tables and views that may be used to explore
differences in SQL:2003 with views in the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.

My current - work-in-progress - patch aginst pgsql-HEAD is here:
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/pgsql/conformance/pgsql-sql-conformance.patch
The patch _will_ change, as some work is still pending, primarily:
Checking if any of SQL:2003's new features are conformed to, and -
conversely: checking of any of PostgreSQL 8's new features are coverede by
the standard somehow.

Some of the changes are rather boring, consisting mainly of feature name
changes, to bring the naming more in line with SQL:2003. Other changes
aren't only related to naming, see for example the changes for
E021-04
E081-10
F053
F672
T071
T176

Some (of the) stuff that I'm unsure of:
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/pgsql/conformance/in-doubt-features.txt

I have also started a little list of SQL:2003 features that I think might
be relatively easy to implement in PostgreSQL:
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/pgsql/conformance/low-hanging-fruits.txt

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark