Re: PostgreSQL solaris faq

From: Marc Liyanage <liyanage(at)access(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL solaris faq
Date: 2000-10-18 19:55:02
Lists: pgsql-docs
Hi there, I just received this for inclusion into
the solaris faq:

--------------------------------------

From: Michel Decima <michel(dot)decima(at)rd(dot)francetelecom(dot)fr>
To: <liyanage(at)access(dot)ch>
Subject: PostgreSQL Solaris FAQ
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:28:02 +0200

hello,

I see you are the maintainer of the PostgreSQL Solaris FAQ, so i submit
to you something to add:

If you compile postgreSQL on a solaris box with GNU gcc and GNU ld, you
will have troubles with procedural languages. The error message is for
plpgsql :

ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so failed: ld.so.1:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so: symbol CurrentMemoryContext: referenced
symbol not found

(and the same for pltcl).

the solution is to use the --export-dynamic switch when linking postgres
executable. You can add the following line to the solaris_sparc_gcc
template:

LDFLAGS:-Wl,--export-dynamic

I found this hint here:
http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/2000-03/msg00030.html

I spent two days in the mailing lists archives and hacking around, so I think
the solaris FAQ is a good place to put this hint ;)

MD.

some infos about my configuration :

OS: Solaris 2.7

Used Software:
     gcc-2.95.2
     make-3.79
     binutils-2.9.1
     flex-2.5.4
     bison-1.28

Source: postgresql-7.0.2
Configuration:
./configure \
     --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql \
     --with-x \
     --with-perl \
     --with-odbc \
     --without-CXX \
     --with-tcl \
     --with-includes=/usr/local/pgtools/include \
     --with-libs=/usr/local/pgtools/lib \
     --with-tclconfig=/usr/local/pgtools/lib \
     --with-tkconfig=/usr/local/pgtools/lib

Environment variables:
PGHOME=/usr/local/pgsql
PGLIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
PGDATA=/var/local/lib/pgsql/data
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/lib
Marc Liyanage                                  liyanage(at)access(dot)ch
                                           http://www.access.ch/ml

    Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted

pgsql-docs by date