Re: initdb crash

From: nitrogenycs(at)web(dot)de
To: "pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb crash
Date: 2004-07-04 12:27:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Am Sun, 04 Jul 2004 09:41:55 +0100 hat Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
geschrieben:

> This is just a guess, but check that the new user (postgres) has enough
> permission on the folders that you are using for Postgresql. Since you
> created the folders as an admin user, ordinary users may not have all
> the required permissions.
>
> System error 5 under windows is a "permission denied" error. I don't
> know if Postgresql is reflecting that as a signal with the same number.

After i read your mail (thank you very much for it) i've set the
file/folder permission for the c:\postgres folder so that the user
postgres has full access to it just like every admin has (was a bit of a
hassle cause u have to reboot into safe mode, but i got it). Unfortunately
initdb still crashes in the same way. Then i tried to create the postgres
folder in the home directory of the user which resulted in a crash too. Is
c:\postgres the only folder i have to grant full permissions for or are
there others, too (like some system stuff or sth)? Or is this rather a
result from the fact that error 5 isn't a permission denied error?

-Matthias