slowness in fetch from the psqlodbc driver

From: Ionut Giurea <elrubio(at)unirea(dot)ro>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: slowness in fetch from the psqlodbc driver
Date: 2003-02-13 19:40:25
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

I am using PsqlODBC 7.2.5 and Postgres 7.2.2. While trying to run a Delphi
3 application using BDE I noticed some important differences in comparison
to an MS Sql database in selecting multiple rows from a database. This can
be noticed even in borland's database explorer when running a select * from
large_table and displaying the results in a grid table. I looked at the
traffic between the computer and the database usgina tcp/ip packet sniffer
and the response I got from the MS SQL and Postgres SQL server are quite
similiar as traffic and speed, BUT there are two differences:

1. In the postgres case, all the respone records are fetched from the
database server by the odbc driver,while in the MS SQL case, not all the
response records are transferred, only a part, and the rest are transferred
when I move down in the application's grid table. This difference is not so
important from the user's point of view, he didn't even notices it, it
might became semnificative for very large tables when the traffic between
the application and the database server is big.

2. The fetch from the odbc works much,much slower in the postgresodbc
driver than in the mssql driver. When I try a locate or a recordcount
function in the query table from the Delphi application, they are making a
fetch_all from the odbc driver so I don't see any traffic between the
station and the Postgres database server, I notice fetching the remaining
rows from the MS SQL Server as I explained before, but this Fetch_All
operation takes about half a second in the MS SQL case and 8 seconds in the
Postgres case for a 2000 rows query. So I made a simple application with a
query, a datasource anda grid table. The application performs a
{query.close; query.open;query.recordcount} While looking at the tcp/ip
sniffer in these 2 cases I saw that the traffic is the same and at the same
speed, but while in the mssql case the grid is filled up almost immediately
the tcp/ip traffic stops, in the Postgres case it takes many seconds until
the results are displayed. Both cases are using bde with odbc drivers so
the problem must be in postgres's odbc driver. Can this be speeded up?

All the best,
Ionut