Re: WIP patch for TODO Item: Add prompt escape to display the client and server versions

From: "Dickson S(dot) Guedes" <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP patch for TODO Item: Add prompt escape to display the client and server versions
Date: 2009-07-17 20:24:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:40:45 -0300, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
escreveu:

> On Thursday 07 May 2009 05:23:41 Dickson S. Guedes wrote:
>> This is a WIP patch (for the TODO item in the subject) that I'm putting
>> in the Commit Fest queue for 8.5.

> More generally, does anyone actually need this feature? psql complains
> loudly enough if the version numbers are not the right ones. I don't
> know why this would need to be repeated in the prompt.

An use case that i can figure out is an user that connects in multiples
instances in a lot of remote sites (like home-officer for example) and
needs this information in the prompt to don't lost the context of your
work. Is this valid? Is this and other similar cases quite enough to
justify this patch? If yes I can change the patch to satisfy the Peter's
suggestions, if no we can just ignore the patch and remove the item from
TODO.

Thoughts?

[]s
--
Dickson S. Guedes
mail/xmpp: guedes(at)guedesoft(dot)net - skype: guediz