Re: Follow-Up: How to improve db performance with $7K?

From: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
To: "Steinar H(dot) Gunderson" <sgunderson(at)bigfoot(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Follow-Up: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date: 2005-04-06 13:26:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

> and we get about 65MB/sec sustained when writing to an ext3 filesystem
> (actually, when wgetting a file off the gigabit LAN :-) ). I haven't

Well, unless you have PCI 64 bits, the "standard" PCI does 133 MB/s which
is then split exactly in two times 66.5 MB/s for 1) reading from the PCI
network card and 2) writing to the PCI harddisk controller. No wonder you
get this figure, you're able to saturate your PCI bus, but it does not
tell you a thing on the performance of your disk or network card... Note
that the server which serves the file is limited in the same way unless
the file is in cache (RAM) or it's PCI64. So...