Re: plpython improvements

From: "Sven Suursoho" <sven(at)spam(dot)pri(dot)ee>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpython improvements
Date: 2006-05-05 17:58:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

Fri, 05 May 2006 19:20:55 +0300, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>:

>> I think that a less confusing way of saying it would be :
>> "Generators crash if python version used is 2.4.x and it is compiled
>> with asserts. Currently only known linux distributions to distibute
>> such python.so
>> files are Fedora and possibly other RedHat distributions, while
>> Gentoo, Ubuntu and Suse are OK.
>
> Ubuntu ships 2.4 I don't know about SuSE. 2.4 has been out for sometime
> and it would be a mistake to assume that we won't run into this.

Sure, but it is known problem and there is patch for this bug. In the
documentation we can clearly state that python2.4 with asserts enabled
causes problem and describe how it can be tested and fixed (regardless of
distribution used).

As an example of absurdity of this problem: let's assume there is known
distribution with buggy gethostbyname(). Fact, that we know about this,
shouldn't stop us developing TCP/IP applications. Especially, if there is
also patch for this bug :)

It would be real shame to prevent using generator for SETOF functions
because it is most natural match for plpgsql's "return next"

--
Sven Suursoho