Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of

From: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Marcos <mjs_ops(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of
Date: 2006-03-28 21:24:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
> What really makes innodb useless to me is that there's no real support
> for proper operation by MySQL itself.  If you could force MySQL to only
> use innodb tables, and to NEVER do the wrong things syntactically, it
> would be ok.  But there are thousands of foot-guns in the MySQL

	That's what I meant actually.
	And by saying "if you want transactions" I also meant "if you want a
database system that will go to great lengths to save your ass and your
data instead of helping you shooting yourself in the foot, generally work
very well, be reliable, friendly and a pleasure to work with, which means
more or less, if you're rational rather than masochistic, then yeah, you
should use postgres".

> If you could force MySQL to only
> use innodb tables, and to NEVER do the wrong things syntactically, it
> would be ok.

	You'd still need to teach it how to hash-join and everything, though.
Life sucks when the only join type you have is merge join.