Re: Building PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on Windows with MinGW

From: "VOGLOZIN W(dot) Amenel" <amenel(dot)voglozin(at)univ-nantes(dot)fr>
To: "Simon Dale" <sdale(at)rm(dot)com>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Building PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on Windows with MinGW
Date: 2006-03-27 12:56:23
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hi,
I downloaded msys (version 1.0.1), didn't for msysdtk (don't even know
what it is!). I did the same as you for mingw (installer and current set).
The contents of installed.ini in the mingw directory is the following:
%%%%%
[settings]
mirror=http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge
installtype=current

[components]
runtime=mingw-runtime-3.9.tar.gz
w32api=w32api-3.6.tar.gz
binutils=binutils-2.15.91-20040904-1.tar.gz
core=gcc-core-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz
gpp=gcc-g++-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz
g77=
ada=
java=
objc=
make=mingw32-make-3.80.0-3.tar.gz
%%%%%

Your problem may come from using mingw-make as you wrote below. I remember
that right after the msys install, there's a check or configure script
that says something meaning "it's great that you don't have $$$make".
Which make was it referring to, I don't remember. Check that.
Here is my PATH under msys
.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/program
files/miktek/texmf/miktex/bin:/c/WINNT/system32:/c/WINNT:/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem::/c/Program
Files/Fichiers communs/Adaptec Shared/System:/c/Program
Files/QuickTime/QTSystem/:/c/PROGRA~1/XRay:/c/Langages/BC5/BIN:.:/c/Program
Files/multiDesk/shortcuts:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:/usr/local/pgsql/lib

Note that I did the same installation (for mingw and msys) and compilation
procedures on two systems: my laptop w/ WinXP SP2 and my office desktop
machine w/ Win2K Professional. They ran perfectly on both machines.