Re: Creating a correct and real benchmark

From: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
To: Marcos <mjs_ops(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating a correct and real benchmark
Date: 2006-02-21 00:14:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

> I'm developing a search engine using the postgresql's databas. I've
> already doing some tunnings looking increase the perform.
>
> Now, I'd like of do a realistic test of perfom with number X of queries
> for know the performance with many queries.
>
> What the corret way to do this?

I guess the only way to know how it will perform with your own
application is to benchmark it with queries coming from your own
application. You can create a test suite with a number of typical queries
and use your favourite scripting language to spawn a number of threads and
hammer the database. I find it interesting to measure the responsiveness
of the server while torturing it, simply by measuring the time it takes to
respond to a simple query and graphing it. Also you should not have N
threads issue the exact same queries, because then you will hit a too
small dataset. Introduce some randomness in the testing, for instance.
Benchmarking from another machine makes sure the test client's CPU usage
is not a part of the problem.