Re: missing file in git repo

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian" <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: missing file in git repo
Date: 2010-05-03 10:42:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 19:46, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> Kevin Grittner wrote:
>>
>>> The reported source of the software seems to have gone away. I can
>>> let you have my copy, which reliably reproduces the error, so we
>>> have a good failure test case.
>>>

>>  If it's not as recent as this:
>>  http://ww2.fs.ei.tum.de/~corecode/hg/fromcvs/log/132
>>  we might want to bring in (or at least review) what's been committed
>> since we grabbed our copy.  Some of the fixes mentioned sound like
>> they might possibly be related.
>>

> OK, there is good news on this front. When last I looked this repo was
> giving errors, so I worked from the copy of the code I already had. (So
> thanks to Kevin for prodding me to check again.) With the latest fromcvs and
> rcsparse packages downloaded from this site I can now make and run the 7.4
> and 8.1 branches from the imported repository (I haven't checked other
> branches yet.)

What exactly did you test? Did you run it from scratch, or did you run
it on top of the existing git repo? Because AFAIK the bug isn't
consisten in that if you just do a fresh migration, it often works -
even with the current version we have deployed. I haven't checked that
in detail though - was this included in your tests?

> So we need to look at how hard it would be to upgrade the scripts on
> git.postgresql.org, and if by doing so we can fix its versions of the back

Upgrading the script is trivial. It's working off a git checkout with
a specific hash,iirc, because there were no actualstable releases at
the time, so if you can tell me which commit to check out, that's
easy.

Will this automatically fix the backbranches, or do we need to do
something more than just upgrading it?

> branches. It would also be a good idea to have a script that regularly
> checks out the important branches from git and checks that they are
> identical to what is in CVS. That might help to increase Tom's confidence
> level.

Yes, that would be very good. ISTR there's a script somewhere, but it
didn't run without showing some issues? Particularly related to the
keyword expansion stuff?

If someone has such a script ready today, it should be easy to deploy
it on the git server for regular checks. If not, volunteers are most
welcome to write one :-)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/