Re: Win32 timezone matching

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 timezone matching
Date: 2010-04-09 11:58:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 21:06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I wrote:
>>         ereport(LOG,
>>                 (errmsg("could not determine system time zone, defaulting to \"%s\"", "GMT"),
>
> BTW, does anyone remember the reason for making "GMT" nonlocalizable
> in these messages?  It seems more straightforward to do

Nope, can't recall that.

>                (errmsg("could not determine system time zone, defaulting to \"GMT\""),
>
> I suppose we had a reason for doing it the first way but I can't see
> what.  "GMT" seems a fairly English-centric way of referring to UTC
> anyhow; translators might wish to put in "UTC" instead, or some other
> spelling.  Shouldn't we let them?

UTC and GMT aren't actually the same thing. In fact, it might be more
sensible to fall back to UTC than GMT. Both in the message *and* the
code, in that case. They only differ in fractions of seconds, but we
do deal in fractions of seconds... It also carries the nice property
that it's *supposed* to be abbreviated the same way regardless of
language (which is why it's UTC and not CUT).

And either way, it's an abbreviation, and we don't normally translate
those, do we?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/