Re: date formatting and tab-complete patch

From: Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Subject: Re: date formatting and tab-complete patch
Date: 2001-12-05 17:33:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz> writes:

> > This example shows another issue. With localized month and day names
> > the hardcoded paddings doesn't make sense any more since you may have
> > a month name longer than 9 chars -septiembre- as instance.
>
> Magic "9 chars" is nice and popular Oracle feature :-)

You think so?, May be it was in the teletype or monospaced display
times. But now? I don't think so.

> The "9 chars" can be used for English locales only.

May be add a GUC, something like useless_oracle_compatibility turned
on by default (for the backwards compatibility). Believe me, the
paddings are mostly useless those days where aplications tends to use
more the web or graphical interfaces than terminals or teletypes.

Regards,
Manuel.