Re: Looking for good reference materials for SQL programming.

From: pete(at)example(dot)compulink(dot)co(dot)uk
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Looking for good reference materials for SQL programming.
Date: 2001-05-11 22:11:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Peter J. Schoenster" <peter(at)schoenster(dot)com> writes:

> Someone else wrote:
> > There is a /very/ good book, whose exact name escapes me at the
> > moment, but you should be able to find it on Amazon if you perform a
> > search for 'SQL' and 'Practical'.
>
> That is probably Practical SQL :) ... worth a read but unless I missed
> something I didn't see where it helped with design (does help with SQL
> though).

That's the one :-)

I think (the actual book is currently at work) it's the second
edition. There appeared to be a couple of chapters near the beginning
which took someone who had a real world problem, but little knowledge
of relational database design, through the process of coming up with
a correctly normalised solution.

--
Pete

pete(at)maverick-dbms(dot)org
MaVerick - Open Source MultiValue Database Management System
Check out the website -> http://www.maverick-dbms.org