Re: [HACKERS] 2-phase commit

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 2-phase commit
Date: 2003-08-29 03:12:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
Oops! bruno(at)wolff(dot)to (Bruno Wolff III) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 22:46:58 -0700,
>   Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> That's an interesting observation, because I've long thought
>> PeopleSoft ought to support Postgres too. From what I recall, their
>> database schema is *very* database neutral (at least as of PSFT
>> version 7.x) and fairly simple (we ran it on MSSQL 6.5). It would
>> probably be pretty easily ported to run on Postgres.
>
> In my opinion it is too database agnostic. They pretty much just use
> the DB as a file. From what I have seen of the system it is one big
> hack.

Ah, so it's like the way SAP R/3's HR module works.  (I expect I'm the
only one around that is more than passing familiar with "cluster
tables"; quite supremely nonrelational stuff, and quite
bletcherous...)

To a great extent this comes from the nature of the application.  HR
is all about collecting together "documents," and these applications
replace "paper" with "pseudopaper."

> They aren't big on using referential integrity to keep the data
> clean.

Ditto for SAP R/3; "cleanliness" is, there, imposed by only using
their applications to do updates, which includes writing your software
to invoke their functions.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html