Postmaster log perms and line suffix

From: Jerry Sievers <jerry(at)jerrysievers(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postmaster log perms and line suffix
Date: 2006-04-26 16:39:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

Pgadmins, 2 loosly related questions

1. We have need to let developers view the postmaster logs on some of
our environments and wish NOT to give them access to the postgres
Unix acct if possible. It looks though as if log file perms are
determined by the global umask set in postmaster.c and is not
changeable without either changing the umask or adding some chmod
lines to syslogger.c.

Q: Am I missing an easier way to do this? I realize the risks
involved here.

2. We have a fairly elaborate and very useful log file parser/analyzer
running that gathers and reports on long-running-queries, error
messages and other logged data. Splitting the log files into
records is a bit tricky however due to multi-line log records.

Q: Has anyone else wished for a config parm as "log_line_suffix" or
similar that would let us place an arbitrary record seperator string
trailing each log file entry? Prefix can be used for this but seems a
bit non-intuitive.

Comments appreciated.

Thx

Jerry Sievers 305 854-3001 (home) WWW ECommerce Consultant
305 321-1144 (mobile http://www.JerrySievers.com/