Re: More PHP DB abstraction layer stuff

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: gearond(at)cvc(dot)net, "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More PHP DB abstraction layer stuff
Date: 2003-01-24 20:24:56
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

> Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org> writes:
>
> > $stmt = $dbh->prepare("select * from mytable where first_name = ?");
> > $ret_val = $sth->execute("Fred"); # might come from a web form instead
> > @row = $sth->fetchrow_array();
> >
> > The database driver is responsible for turning the '?' in the query
> > into a properly-quoted and escaped value, or otherwise supplying it to
> > the database. The '?' is a placeholder.
>
> Except that that's not what the driver does, at least not for databases that
> are capable of doing better. It sends the placeholders to the database as they
> are. (Or in a different syntax like :1 :2 :3 for Oracle for example.)

Right, but currently for PG (this being a PG list :) it just does the
quoting/escaping and builds the query itself. It's still safer than
doing it by hand, as long as the database driver is trustworthy and
knows the databases escaping conventions.

I think there has been discussion about extending the protocol to
allow Oracle-style prepared statement execution, but right now it
isn't supported. Prepared queries only went in in 7.3, after all...

-Doug