Re: pg_hba.conf changes without restarting postmaster

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf changes without restarting postmaster
Date: 2004-07-31 01:09:33
Lists: pgsql-general
After a long battle with technology, schen(at)graciousstyle(dot)com (Si Chen), an earthling, wrote:
> It seems that every time I make a change to pg_hba.conf, I have to
> restart the database server for the new authentication to take effect.
> Is there a way to have the server use the new pg_hba.conf
> authentication without restarting the production server.

You NEVER need to restart the database server to reflect pg_hba.conf
changes.

The command "pg_ctl -D $PGDATA reload" will cause the server to reload
the contents of pg_hba.conf, assuming PGDATA is appropriately set.
Several other methods are possible, all of which ultimately amount to
sending the signal SIGHUP to the postmaster.
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "ntlug.org")
I found out why  cats drink out of the toilet. My  mother told me it's