Re: pgsql database .1 .2 .3 file names

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql database .1 .2 .3 file names
Date: 2004-10-20 00:29:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

The world rejoiced as bbiggers(at)tds(dot)net (Bryan Biggers) wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what the data file names with the .1 .2 .3
> etc. extensions are? Are these undo versions of my tables or
> something? I need to recover some disk space and I'm wondering if I
> need them. Here is an example...
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Oct 18 20:01 19523580
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep 6 20:11 19523580.1
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep 6 20:11 19523580.2
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep 6 20:11 19523580.3
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Sep 6 20:11 19523580.4
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Oct 6 20:19 19523580.5
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 629948416 Oct 19 12:33 19523580.6

You might just want to keep those files.

They're the data for some table that evidently occupies about 6.5GB of
space.

It's _possible_ that the table needs vacuuming, in which case some of
that space might be reclaimed. But you'd best do that using VACUUM.
Deleting files would be expected to amount to destroying about a GB
apiece of the data in the table...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/internet.html