Re: I understand now

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I understand now
Date: 2004-05-07 03:51:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

After a long battle with technology, swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au (Gavin Sherry), an earthling, wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2004, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> We're going with PostgreSQL. Period. I'd like to thank the people who
>> responded. They were astonishing for a couple reasons:
>> 1. Their speed at responding
>> 2. Their passion
>> 3. Their knowledge
>
> Great.
>
> One way on which you can assist the project in the future is by
> putting together a case study of your experiences with your
> migration project (good and bad) as well as a guide for those
> migrating from Fox pro. As you can see, that kind of information is
> extremely useful and as a guide on the web site would be available
> to all.

And note that the fact that Bruce may feel like a bit of a novice does
NOT hurt the value of this; nay, it _increases_ the value of such a
guide.

A "novice's guide" is, in fact, best written by a novice, albeit
hopefully with some guidance from experts. Experts are not likely to
stumble over the same things as novices. In particular, it is likely
that diverse "FoxPro people" will stumble over many of the same
things.

Pointing out stumbling blocks is a useful thing...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "acm.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/postgresql.html