Prefix search, word completion, full text search

From: Vincent Bernat <bernat(at)luffy(dot)cx>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Prefix search, word completion, full text search
Date: 2007-12-29 19:38:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi !

I am playing with the new full text search in PostgreSQL 8.3. I would
like to search for prefixes to allow to complete words. For example, if
I have the lexemes 'foo', 'foobar' and 'bar', I would like to get all
the words whose prefix is 'foo', i.e 'foo' and 'foobar'.

GIST or GIN (I don't remember) should allow to search for prefix. How
can I query them?

Thanks.
--
BOFH excuse #348:
We're on Token Ring, and it looks like the token got loose.