Re: [QUESTIONS] What else can I do?

From: Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog(at)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Sergio Tirado Ochoa <stirado(at)campus(dot)gym(dot)itesm(dot)mx>
Cc: pgsql-questions(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-ayuda(at)tlali(dot)iztacala(dot)unam(dot)mx
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] What else can I do?
Date: 1997-11-16 22:31:25
Lists: pgsql-es-ayuda
Sergio Tirado Ochoa <stirado(at)campus(dot)gym(dot)itesm(dot)mx> writes:

It would seem that the version of postgresql that you have installed
is a version compiled for the new glibc libraries.

Get the postgresql RPMS from ftp.redhat.com's contrib directory or a
sunsite mirror.

Remove the previous installation of postgresql and the postgres user
you created. Make sure you delete /var/lib/postgresql.

Delete glibc-crypt-2.0.4-1.i386.rpm.

Delete libc.so.6. **If you upgraded from libc.so.5 using rpm you must
"upgrade" back to it using --oldpackage**. If you just added libc.so.6
as an extra library, delete it.

Install the new postgresql rpm's with "rpm -ivh". There should be no
complaints, no need to create any users.

su from root to daemon.

createuser <your login name>
Allow the creation of new users and databases.
exit.

Login as yourself.

"createdb <your login name>" or "createdb <database name>"

If the database name is the same as your login name type:

"psql"

otherwise type:

"psql <database name>"

This should all work without problem.

> STEP ONE
>
> I installed Red Hat Linux release 4.2 (Biltmore) Kernel 2.0.30 on an i586
> on a brand new HP Vectra VL computer. I installed *everything*. I ended up
> with a brand new fat Unix server.
>
> STEP TWO
>
> I created the user pgsql, downloaded postgresql-6.2.1-2.i586.rpm and
> installed it.

Where did you get this from?

--
Eze Ogwuma