Re: book for postgresql

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-general"(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: book for postgresql
Date: 2004-02-10 01:57:13
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-general
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, ewong(at)mail(dot)com (Ed Wong) wrote:
> I am an oracle dba and new to postgresql.  Could you tell me what is
> the best postgres book out there to start with?  I am looking for a
> book which is sort of a complete reference including some dba chapters
> as well.

There are three fairly good books in printed form:

- New Riders has one that is about the most recent one published,
  which, it seems to me, has about the best explanation of the query
  optimizer going, as well as quite a lot of other fairly deep
  technical material;

- Addison Wesley published Bruce Momjian's book which is getting a bit
  dated, but which is still quite good;

- O'Reilly has a third one that is also "dated but good."

The online material is also a good source, and is commonly included
along with the PostgreSQL installation.

All four of these sources are quite good.  I have all but Bruce's book
on my desk...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html