Re: Sixth Draft

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sixth Draft
Date: 2004-09-02 04:29:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

In the last exciting episode, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net (Peter Eisentraut) wrote:
> josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com wrote:
>> PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD-style license, which due to its
>> lack of licensing fees allows corporate and individual users more
>> flexibility than the competition.
>
> This is an incorrect interpretation of the licensing situation.
> There are plenty of licenses that are granted free of charge but
> still leave the recipient without any flexibility. The advantage of
> the BSD license is the lack of restrictions on modication and
> distribution.

I suggested, separately, a "more flexible" :-) wording for this.

One of the benefits of the BSD license is that it means that users are
not left agonizing over which license, from a "dueling licenses"
structure, applies to them. They can do as they need to without
needing to worry about licensing fees or choices.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html