Re: Finding if old transactions are running...

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Finding if old transactions are running...
Date: 2005-02-24 04:47:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> transmitted:
> It sure would be nice to be able to have a way to query the start
> time of the eldest transaction on the system.

I can see this function available in the backend:

   TransactionId GetOldestXmin(bool alldbs);

The cost is based on walking thru each backend process, which I guess
is obvious, as if there are 47 backends, that means 47 xids.
Presumably not _too_ expensive; certainly something that has to be run
every time a vacuum is requested.

Is there a way to expose this?  Without "leaping into grand evil?"
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/languages.html