Re: Implementing SQL/PSM for PG 8.2

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implementing SQL/PSM for PG 8.2
Date: 2005-06-28 02:20:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu ("Jonah H. Harris") wrote:
> I don't recommend discussion for this in this thread, but it could
> also tie in with the packages support we've discussed and (although
> some may argue this), compiling the PL to bytecode and using that.

This makes me think of the old jwz quote...

"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think 'I know, I'll
use regular expressions.' Now they have two problems."
-- Jamie Zawinski, on comp.lang.emacs

There are essentially four choices:

1. Embed a JVM in PostgreSQL, and use that; the fact that there are
already multiple "pljava" implementations suggests that it may be
difficult to pick a strategy...

2. Embed some clone of CLR in PostgreSQL, let's say, MONO.

I don't think there's a suitable BSDL'ed option...

3. Embed Parrot (the Perl/Python thing) in PostgreSQL. (Not that
Parrot can be considered "done".)

4. Make up a PostgreSQL-specific bytecode interpreter.

I'm quite sure that this leads to adding to the problems...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','gmail.com').
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/nonrdbms.html