Re: Using PL/R with 8.0

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using PL/R with 8.0
Date: 2005-03-10 03:55:12
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Quoth elein(at)varlena(dot)com (elein):
> I'm trying to get plr up and running on an 8.0.1
> pg installation.  I'm running Debian unstable.
> I have R_HOME as /usr/lib/R
> is in /usr/lib/R/lib/
> and has rw-r--r-- permissions.
> /u/local/pgsql80/lib/ is rwxr-xr-x.
> I've (re)built pg --with-plr and --with-libs=/usr/lib/R/ (just in case)
> I've (re)built plr.
> When I load plr.sql it complains:
> ERROR:  could not load library "/u/local/pgsql80/lib/": cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Please tell me that there is something stupid
> and obvious that I've forgotten to set?
> (And what that thing is :)

There's a tendancy for R builds to not bother building the sharable library.

The key to figuring it out is to check what's missing in library
linkages.  Two options ought to be helpful:

1.  ldd  /u/local/pgsql80/lib/
2.  ldd  /usr/lib/R/lib/

On my Debian/unstable system...

cbbrowne(at)wolfe> ldd /usr/lib/postgresql/lib/ => not found => /lib/tls/ (0x40022000)
      /lib/ => /lib/ (0x80000000)

It may suffice to figure out where is, and add that directory
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour
to  lead all customers  out of  a mire  of technological  chaos neatly
ignores  the  fact  that  it  was  he  who,  by  peddling  second-rate
technology, led them  into it in the first place."  - Douglas Adams in
Guardian, 25-Aug-95