Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL
Date: 2003-11-12 21:35:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
>>>No that would be illegal.
>>>

>>Hmm? In what way would that be "illegal"?
>>
>>I can't think of how they could compel such an assignment against your
>>will.
>>
> Exactly, so if they tried, or represented the fact that they
> could... it would be illegal.

No, if they represented that they could, that would be _dishonest_.
Which isn't quite the same thing as "illegal."

In places organized as a "theocracy" or some other form of "religious
state," things considered 'immoral' are enacted into law as being
'illegal,' such that 'immoral' and 'illegal' have a tendancy to be
synonymous. In places where there has been a "separation of church
and state," lots of things likely to be regarded as immoral are
definitely _not illegal_. Dishonesty may be immoral, but it's not
necessarily illegal.

Digression aside, if they took such a case to court, they would be
expected to be rebuffed by the court for having brought action with no
basis in law, which would presumably lead to ... ridicule.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/sgml.html