Skip site navigation (1) Skip section navigation (2)

Re: PostgreSQL certifications?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL certifications?
Date: 2004-06-05 04:21:14
Message-ID: m3ekou7hz9.fsf@wolfe.cbbrowne.com (view raw or flat)
Thread:
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, erempel(at)uvic(dot)ca (Evan Rempel) transmitted:
> I disagree with the supply demand argument.
>
> I just went through a 100+ hour evaluation of 4 database products for
> selection in an enterprise environment. Approx 200 databases for a total
> of 11+GB of data with 4,500 users accross 110 departments. A substantial
> undertaking.
>
> One of the criteria was "Can our DBA team get formal
> training/certification to support the selected product in our
> environment?"
>
> Without this, the organization is reluctant to even consider rolling
> PostgreSQL our in a production environment, regardless of who thinks
> it's good, how much it costs or any other technical reason. The IT
> staff never gets an oportunity to showcase PostgreSQL because it is
> never put into production. If it's never in production, there is
> never a job oportunity, and without the job oportunity, the
> PostgreSQL community never create training/certification. This is an
> endless circle.

Does your organization require a "certification program" for every
piece of software they install?

-> Are you required to be a ViCP?  (Vi-Certified Programmer)

-> How about GCC certification?

-> Remarkably enough, despite the absence of a certification
   program, Apache has proven very popular, indeed, more popular
   than IIS, which also lacks a certification program.

-> Are any of your people BASH-certified?  How about their Ksh
   certification?  (I am quite sure that nobody is
   COMMAND.COM-certified.)

In the absence of these certifications, it would be just stupid for
organizations to adopt any of these tools, as it would demonstrably
impossible for them to be supportable in said absence.

I'm being a little sarcastic here, but it sure seems odd that those
pieces of software have grown so popular despite the complete absence
of relevant certifications if certifications were truly so important.

Reality is that putting together certification programs is a sizable,
bureaucratically-challenging sort of task that _isn't_ something that
Tom Lane or Bruce Momjian should drop development work to work on.

Whatever the would-be demand, it has not been of a nature that has
drawn anyone out of the woodwork to do it.  I think the PostgreSQL Inc
guys out in Nova Scotia had _something_ happening a year or so ago,
but it evidently wasn't something that could turn into obvious
advocacy efforts.

The fact that you think you need it does not magically result in other
people concluding that it becomes their responsibility to provide it;
that's the way open source communities work...
-- 
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/finances.html
Rules of the Evil Overlord #65.  "If I must have computer systems with
publically available  terminals, the maps  they display of  my complex
will have  a room clearly marked  as the Main Control  Room. That room
will be  the Execution Chamber. The  actual main control  room will be
marked as Sewage Overflow Containment." <http://www.eviloverlord.com/>

In response to

Responses

pgsql-advocacy by date

Next:From: Evan RempelDate: 2004-06-05 06:00:04
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL certifications?
Previous:From: Jan WieckDate: 2004-06-04 21:25:01
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] [HACKERS] Slony-I goes BETA

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Tom LaneDate: 2004-06-05 04:36:02
Subject: Re: Queries slow from within plpgsql
Previous:From: Lee HarrDate: 2004-06-05 02:10:45
Subject: Re: zope, postgresql and idle connections

Privacy Policy | About PostgreSQL
Copyright © 1996-2014 The PostgreSQL Global Development Group