Re: ODBC Driver stability

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <Benjamin(dot)Riefenstahl(at)epost(dot)de>
To: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Driver stability
Date: 2004-11-14 15:13:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Jaime,

Jaime Casanova writes:
> Just for me to understand this right. when i use vb with the odbc i
> got these changes in non-ASCII characters but NO when using EMS
> pgmanager nor when selecting directly from psql.

Probably the ODBC driver tries to convert from the database encoding
to the system encoding of MS Windows. The translation loses for
characters that are not defined in SQL_ASCII.

Applications that use a different PostgreSQL client library may use
other encoding conversion routines or no conversion at all. But
that's probably just luck and may change with the next version of
those tools.

>Benjamin Riefenstahl escribió:
>> Because there are no Spanish characters in ASCII (ASCII is a 7 bit
>> encoding), a database in SQL_ASCII may do anything with those
>> characters.

To be accurate here, replace "a database" with "any module that is
involved on the way from the database to the display and back again."

benny