Re: Found Large Files.. what objects are they?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Found Large Files.. what objects are they?
Date: 2004-12-01 22:46:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when yudie(at)axiontech(dot)com ("Yudie") would write:
> I found bunch of large files (more than 1 gb) in one of database directory.
>
> The files looks like this:
>

> 69233123
>
> 69233123.1
>

> 69233123.2
>
> 69233123.3
>
> 69233123.4
>
> ...and so on.
>
> These large files very delay the dumping process.
>
> Anyone know what it could be & how to delete the object related? How to find a table by oid?

The phenomenon you are seeing occurs when there is a table with a
great deal of data.

Look for the table via the query:

select * from pg_class where oid = 69233123;

Presumably these files are for a table that contains multiple GB of
data. Or they could be for an index on a very large table.

If the data in the table/index is useless to you, you might consider
dropping the table/index.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/wp.html