Re: 3rd Party Advocacy questions

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 3rd Party Advocacy questions
Date: 2004-09-16 11:58:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Oops! javier(dot)soltero(at)hyperic(dot)net ("Javier Soltero") was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> In any case, I'd like to see if the folks on this list can advise me
> a bit on what the proper vehicles for posting announcements of this
> kind within the PostgreSQL user community, especially given the fact
> that we're going to include it in our windows version of the
> product. We're hard at work evangelizing PG to our customers
> (especially those who evaluated our product and decided to not
> purchase because Oracle was the only real option they could opt for
> for production) but I'd like to make sure that we're going about
> this in a way which helps you all spread the word, especially about
> 8.0.

If there's a new product, it's probably worth putting a precis about
it together and firing it at the Announcement list.

 - Obviously it's preferable for this to explain the point of the
   product in, well, "under 1000 words."

   There's an ongoing project to build a press release for PostgreSQL
   8.0; one constraint is for the whole thing to fit in 1000 words,
   despite there being _plenty_ of new things to talk about.

 - Announcing each new version release might get pretty old...

   It is probably NOT news to say "we released version 10.1.2; you may
   want to upgrade."  That's news to send to existing customers.

 - Keep in mind why it's good for the community to announce "your
   stuff."

   Press releases are (almost) always good for the company; placing
   yourself into the community's shoes and asking yourself "Why would
   _they_ value publishing this announcement?" is a vital question
   that will go a long ways towards keeping things relevant.
--
output = reverse("gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/wp.html