Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI
Date: 2006-01-31 14:14:35
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 22:45 -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
>> > However none of them are PostgreSQL Installers,  none of them has the
>> > ability to customize the packages and none of them has the ability to
>> > install the community packages, etc. :)
>>
>> You need to take a sniff over at the FreeBSD ports.  Lets you build
>> customized install of Pg quite easily, without need for a gui, which
>> none of my big servers have.
>
> There are some people who do use GUI on their servers and do not know
> how to compile a software or do not want to build a software via command
> line.
>
> This is called "marketing". :)

I have to wonder if these people, so helpless that they cannot manage
their Unix servers without this GUI tool, will be able to get any of
the applications installed that were supposed to use the database.

From what I can see, this is merely putting off the "learning cliff,"
and possibly in a dangerous way.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;