Re: Re: useability of apache, PHP, Postgres for real business apps

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: GH <grasshacker(at)over-yonder(dot)net>
Cc: Micah Yoder <yodermk(at)home(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: useability of apache, PHP, Postgres for real business apps
Date: 2001-06-30 13:29:46
Lists: pgsql-general

GH <grasshacker(at)over-yonder(dot)net> writes:

> I have no idea. I have never used it in production. AOLServer has
> native TCL support, which is kind of cool if you are into that sort
> of thing. It is threaded, so reliability is on PHP's side of the fence.
> Last I heard, (long time ago, by the way) PHP's threading worked, but was
> not 100%. The PHP people probably have that all sorted out by now, so you
> should be fine.

As a data point, I found that AOLServer wasn't too terribly stable for
me. I was using OpenACS (a big complicated database-intensive app
written in TCL) and every couple of days one of the AOLServer
instances would go nuts and suck up all the memory in the system,
which would in turn kill a random Postgres backend the next time it
tried to allocate memory for a checkpoint or whatever. Restarting
AOLServer from a cronjob every night solved the problem, but it left a
bad taste in my mouth.

This was five or six months ago so things may be better now. It might
also be fine with a less complicated app.

-Doug
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,