Re: postgresql 8.0 advantages

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql 8.0 advantages
Date: 2005-02-27 02:12:54
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

The world rejoiced as decibel(at)decibel(dot)org ("Jim C. Nasby") wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 01:27:55AM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
>> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 09:20 -0800, Si Chen wrote:
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Is there any documentation on how to upgrade to 8.0?
>> >
>> > Is it possible to upgrade from 7.4 to 8.0 while keeping a production
>> > database running "in place"? Or should I install 8.0 in another
>> > directory/machine and then restore the database into it? Are there any
>> > incompatibilities/modifications to databases from the earlier veresion
>> > required?
>> >

>> You might want to check out Slony-I <http://www.slony.info> for the
>> purpose of upgrading. Slony is actually a replication engine, but it can
>> be used to upgrade with little or no downtime. Otherwise, just
>> dump/upgrade/restore like normal.
>
> Has anyone tried moving a database from one location to another on the
> HD? I'd like to use slony to minimize downtime, but I'd also like my
> data to end up in the same place it is right now when I'm done.

Yes, that certainly ought to work.

If what you're meaning is that you make a replica that sits in
/opt/VERSION8, and then, once the upgrade is complete, rename that to
/opt/MYDATABASE which was where your version 7.4 DB used to be.

We have copied databases from one server to another by copying the
files; making it work was as easy as making sure we ran "pg_ctl -D
$RIGHT_DIRECTORY start" :-).
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lisp.html